Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A Wicked Evening

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After six months of eager anticipation, battling 75 mph winds and torrential downpours, I can say with confidence that I've seen one of the best musicals ever written. It was lively, witty, and filled with irony. From the opening act (which was delayed due to lightning strikes that took out the power) to the closing act (which was further delayed due to more power failures) I was hooked. The music was fantastic and storyline very well written. I'd highly recommend anyone (young, old, guy, girl, etc) to see it.

Typical of my life, the comedy started long before the play began. In keeping with tradition, there were a number of near catastrophes including a storm of biblical proportions and an unplanned detour (in other words, we went the wrong way). Even so, it was fun, and made the night even more memorable.

It started with me having a bad day at work (I'm quite certain all my adventures start out this way.) I was late getting home, and therefore late leaving for dinner. There was a Tornado Warning on the radio for a nearby county, quite fitting given that we were going to see a muscial based on the Wizard of Oz. I payed the warning no attention, and rushed to get home so I could change and we could head to dinner. We ate at a nearby restaurant, and halfway through the meal the sky darkened, and the monsoon began. The rain didn't fall so much as it streaked at a near horizontal tragectory.

After we finished eating, we decided to sit the storm out. We still had two hours before the show, but the weather report wasn't promising. Then, lightning struck, and the power went out. Fortunatley, we'd already paid for dinner, so we were free to go. Unfortunately, we had only one umbrella the size of a postage stamp between us. I ran headlong into the rain toward the car assuming Johnny would press the button to unlock the door from the safety of his umbrella as he casually strolled along behind me. He claims he tried repeatedly, but I still don't believe him.

The drive to Dallas was equally exciting. Lightning streaked across the sky as we passed overturned vehicles too large to escape the gale force winds in excess of 75 mph. Ditches were filled beyond capacity, and water was collecting on the roads. Although a bit trite, we laughed when we passed a mobile home which had been blown off of a trailer and was resting on the side of the road. There were no ruby red slippers to be found.

We took a bit of a detour getting to the play (we went the wrong way) and ended up getting to the play later than we would have liked. Adding insult to injury, we had to park in Outer Mongolia and walk in the rain to the performance hall. Johnny went to find our seats, and I went to find a bathroom. It just so happened that the nearest one involved descending a flight of stairs. Normally, this isn't too terribly inconvenient. However, on my way back up the stairs, lightning struck and the the power went out. I fell face first barely catching myself in the dark. The people behind me got a good laugh when the lights came back on a few seconds later.

I rushed back to my seat only to find out that the power outtage had caused the audio equipment to reboot, delaying the show. You heard it right folks, they had to Reboot Oz.

At this point, I was ready to go home. I was wet, irritated, and in a bit of a bad mood. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut and my desire to flee to myself. The show finally went on, albeit a bit later than expected. There were a few more power outtages spurring a few more Oz Reboots, which only added to the comedy of the performance.

It was a fantastic show, and I highly recommend anyone to go see it.

No comments: