Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Weekend fun

For a long time, I was kinda mopey about the whole Dustin thing. That wasn't very fair to me or to the new guy I've been seeing (his name's Johnny.) So, I decided to force myself out of my funk and start enjoying life again. Over the past few weekends, I've made an effort to go do something that didn't involve a computer or a television. While that doesn't sounds very difficult for a normal human being, I find it extrordinarily difficult for some reason. After a week of working and going to the gym, I just want to sit on my butt all weekend.

I recently read an article on Body Worlds and really wanted to go see it. So, I did. Johnny and I made it a day long affair. It's been a LONG time since I went to Fair Park, so we got there early and toured the Museum's that hosted Body Worlds. For lunch, we ate at Zaguan over in the gayborhood in Dallas. We still had some time to kill before Body Worlds, so we also toured the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park. I must say, I wasn't impressed by anything in Fair Park. The museum wasn't at all impressive, and the aquarium was in pretty bad shape. However, Body Worlds was AWESOME. The exhibits were incredible. There was no glass between you and most of the cadavers. If you've ever wanted to see what the body looks like without skin and fat, this is the place to go. I will warn you, there's lots of...visible reproductive organs.

A few weeks later, I flew to Chicago and spent the weekend with a good friend, Nadine. We did a LOT of eating (I highly recommend Adobo Grill) and also joined her family at the Shedd Aquarium. That was awesome. My favorite part about the aquarium was the Beluga Caviar stand. All you can eat, $19.95. Seriously though, the Shedd Aquarium was incredible. If you're in Chicago and enjoy aquariums, I highly recommend you go to this one.

I wanted to do more in Chicago, but my trip was cut short due to high winds in Texas and ice in Chicago. My flight was cancelled, and the airports were packed. I stood in line for hours to get a boarding pass, and ended up having to fly back though LaGuardia. It took me over 14 hours from the time I got the O'Hare until I got home in Dallas. They lost my luggage, and I had to sit beside a woman with an unhappy baby. Miserable doesn't begin to describe my experience. The only thing that saved me was that I met Peter Mayhew, the 7'3" Englishman who played Chewbacca in Star Wars. I sat in the same row as him on the flight from LaGuardia to DFW. Come to find out, Wookies prefer Bacardi.

Last weekend, we went to see Corteo, a Cirque du Soliel show. It was awesome. I've been to a few Cirque shows, but none where they spoke English. To top it off, it was funny! The main character is a clown who dreams about his funeral. He was quite witty. One of my favorite parts was the very small woman (~3 feet tall) who was suspended by balloons and bounced around the audience.

The stage for Corteo was very small. When I first saw it, I thought I was going to be disappointed. I really didn't think they'd be able to put on an impressive show in such a small area. Boy was I wrong! GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Well, this weekend is the SciFiExpo in Plano. It's an annual event that draws quite a crowd. There's quite a few opportunities for autographs and Q&A panels, if you're into that sort of stuff. Generally, I just stick to the shopping experiences. I've found some GREAT deals on Star Wars merchandise there. It's like EBay, but you can haggle and there's no shipping.

Whew...that's a lot of Weekend fun. Now, I just have to finish my deck.

No comments: