Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Gym...20 pounds later

I've had a gym membership for several years. My attendence record has been a bit spotty (to say the least.) For a while, I'd go in the morning before work to use the cardio equipment, but that was doing little to improve my physique (at the time, I weighed about 150 pounds.) This past October, I decided to hire a personal trainer. It cost a small fortune, but I was determined to bulk up. Here it is, five months later, and I've managed to put on over 20 pounds (most of which I hope is muscle.) Granted, with the money I've spent on the trainer, the supplements, the shakes, the soy milk, and the gym fees, I could have bought a new car, but I'm pleased with the results.

My goal is 190 pounds. Currently, I'm at 174, up 21 pounds from where I started. I'm eating 4,000 calories a day and going to the gym five times a week. My trainer tells me that we'll cut that back to 1,800 calories a day for a while here pretty soon, which will cause me to lose some of the mass I've gained, but will help me to develop more definition. Then, the cycle starts over. I figure in a few years, I'll be over 200 if I keep it up.

For anyone considering a trainer, I have to say that having one motivates you to go to the gym. I know I have an appointment at certain times, so I'm compelled to go since my trainer's income is dependant on my attendence. That might sound silly, but it works for me. Also, the trainer knows far more about this than I do, so he shows me which exercises are most effective, and smacks me in the head when I do them incorrectly.

So, if you wanna bulk up and get smacked in the head, GO FOR IT!

No comments: